If you live in the Greater Phoenix area and own a swimming pool one of the biggest challenges you are going to deal with is high calcium hardness levels coming out of your tap water. Most people aren’t aware of this because anytime you have a large body of water and are subjected to high evaporation levels especially in Arizona summers, calcium levels will rise in swimming pools. This happens because as water evaporates, the hardness minerals remain in solution and gradually increase over time. As hardness levels rise, calcium will scale your water tile line, the interior finish of your pool, filtration equipment, spillways, water features and it’s highly recommended to change out the water in your swimming pool. What people don’t realize is there are major risks and dangers anytime you remove water from inground swimming pools. Some of those risks are summarized below…
- In ground vinyl, liner swimming pools are the most dangerous to drain because the older pools may not have been built structurally to hold back the weight of the dirt against it when the pool is drained. When the pool is drained it can actually cause the walls to collapse or ground water can cause the liner to float; neither of which are good for swimming pools!
- In-ground concrete pools are built structurally to withstand the weight of the water pushing outward on the shell, and that water weight helps keep the shell on the ground. However, if the ground water is high enough, it can actually push the entire pool out of the ground. Once a pool has popped out of the ground it will not go back down and costs a lot of money to fix!
- In-ground, concrete swimming pools can also crack when the temperature is above 70-75 degrees and the surface of the swimming pool doesn’t remain wet. This is the most common issue you will see because in-ground concrete swimming pools are the most popular.
With that said, there’s always going to be a risk when you empty out a swimming pool. In Arizona, where drought conditions are on the rise, the simple and easy answer is to not drain your pool but recycle it instead using mobile filtration.
We purchased our mobile filtration trailer from Pure Water Industries and use the “Puripool Process” which is an alternative to draining a swimming pool by using mobile Reverse Osmosis (RO) Filtration to lower calcium hardness, total dissolved solids (TDS), cyanuric acid (CYA), phosphates, salts and other issues without draining the swimming pool. By using this technology the water level in the swimming pool never changes, it takes all the risks out of draining a swimming pool and provides you with a much better end product than a typical drain and refill. Some of the benefits include:
- You can swim in the pool while the process is being performed (no-downtime)
- We leave you with drinking quality water in your pool which is better than our tap water
- We can help prevent calcium scaling if process is performed every two years
- Increases the lifespan of your salt system
- The water feels and looks better
- Water conservation
If you’re interested in learning more about the “Puripool Process” contact us today and let us help you save money by not damaging your liner from an unnecessary drain and refill!